Ann Arbor Road Scholars

Running in, around, and away from Ann Arbor.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

we'd, part three

So the only thing this has to do with running is that I heard it while still in bed, feeling guilty about sleeping through my alarm (again) and listening to NPR instead of running.

That said - today on the GLRC section of NPR's Morning Edition, there was a bit about how a local Ann Arborite was surprised at how friendly people were to her now that she had a dog. I won't bore you with the specifics, but it went something like, blah blah blah, why are people nice to strangers when they have a dog but are standoffish otherwise, throw in some strange similes ("People pour their love on Lucy like butter"...I mean, who really pours butter? I'm just saying!), close with a heartfelt aww shucks why can't we open our heart to people like we do to dogs, and you have a feel good closer before the BBC news.

So why do I bring this up? Because in a mere 2 min, 41 second human interest fluff piece, the author managed to "we" the listener! Not once, but twice!:

"This summer I was walking Lucy through a campground with my girlfriend" and "Another time, my girlfriend and I were walking the pup downtown."

Umm, okay. We get it. You're taken. To paraphrase Alton Brown, I'm just here for the dog regardless!

So in case you happen to see a woman walking Lucy the black lab somewhere in Ann Arbor, just be prepared to get "we'd". And maybe greet the duo with a preemptive "we" just to keep this whole cute dog/mandatory "we" mention thing in check.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home