Ann Arbor Road Scholars

Running in, around, and away from Ann Arbor.

Monday, May 08, 2006

race season reality check

First, let me state that I really hate blogger.com's special feature of deleting everything you typed when you try to spell check it. So if things are misspelled, take it up with the $%@! website because I'm not losing these gems again.

Don't worry, though - my original entry was actually about running. I ran the Burns Park 5K run yesterday. It was the 4th consecutive year I've run it, but the 1st year I've run it alone. Well, that's not entirely true - there were approximately 20,000 screaming enthusiastic 5-18 year olds and their supportive parents running, too, but no AARS...sniff sniff.

And let me tell you, it's lonely at the bottom. Although I soundly defeated all the kindergarteners and 1st grade runners (in your FACE!!), eight 2nd/3rd graders beat me, and it gradually gets worse as you creep up the grades. I can't blame it all on the young whippersnappers, though, since the overall female runner was 36 years old...and running 6:05 minute miles!! Even the female masters winner at the tender age of 44 years young (BTW, at what age does masters kick in? Am I really that close to qualifying? Sheesh, another thing to celebrate) kicked ass with a 6:31 pace. And don't even get me started on the GRAND masters female winner's pace of 7:53. Did I mention she reported her age as 99 years old? Seriously, is that a typo?

Despite the humbling experience, year after year, I really do love this run. The weather is great, the neighborhood is beautiful, the runners are friendly (except for the occasional father screaming at his 8 year old daughter to "RUN THROUGH IT!!" as tears stream down her under-achieving face) tasty treats afterwards (including home made muffins and Zingerman's bagels), and lots of dogs begging for said tasty treats to boot.

2 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger p-funk said...

way to represent, ap! sorry i couldn't join you in fighting our way through the kiddies!

oh, is that a dude who won first place in your age group? i think he should be DQ'd for gender misrepresentation.

congrats!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger km said...

sweet job, ap! You get an extra shout-out for going at it alone.
As for the masters winner, if your last name is stanko I guess you learn to run fast at an early age :)
You've inspired me to find a 5k to do at the end of the summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home